Dr. Beads

Thursday, December 02, 2004

...Or Not

Perhaps I should reconsider getting more Darwin fish, since I don't want to have to buy a new car any time in the next couple of years.

Since putting a Darwin fish, a gefilte fish, and some liberal bumper stickers on my compact car a few months ago, my car was viciously keyed (scraped and scratched with a car key or similar tool) at least twice.

People have flipped me off from their (usually huge) cars. (Great way to promote your viewpoint.)

One driver nearly ran into me during a turn, and then made "you're crazy" gestures at me in her rearview. (Ah, no, ma'am, I think you're projecting.)

Someone who works in the same building as I do left an off-topic right-wing political rant on my bumper, written on a large PostIt(tm) note. (Stealing office supplies, eh?)

A man stopped the business van he was driving and buttonholed me about my religious views as I was doing errands. (Good use of company time, sir.)

It never ceases to amaze me how viciously self-satisfied people with narrow worldviews can be.

Then again, I've also gotten applause from a driver behind me at a stop light, and I've had interesting conversations with people who wanted to express their support for my views.

Maybe a few more Darwin fish would be in order after all.

2 Comments:

  • My truck had similar bumper stickers (about 20 total). Although the general reaction was a hearty "thank you!" from folks behind me while we were sitting in traffic, one day I got a note on my car from "God" saying I should repent my sins lest I go to hell blah blah blah. Another time someone wrote (in permanent marker!!) "Darwin is dead!" on my "Darwin loves you" bumper sticker. I still don't know what that meant - I mean, so is Jesus, if you want to get all technical about it...

    By Blogger Jen(n), at 12:15 PM  

  • Interesting, Jen(n). Yup, Darwin's dead. His truth goes marching on. (And the vandal's point is...?)

    Clearly, logic is not extremists' strong suit. (Neither, apparently, is choice of appropriate writing materials.)

    By Blogger Dr. Beads, at 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home