Dr. Beads

Friday, July 15, 2005

They Can't Take That Away From Me

I have been very stressed, unhappy, and angry about delays and poor communication from our remodeling contractor.

A new blow fell when it turned out that the contractor hadn't contacted the store that sold the tile my spouse had picked out many weeks ago, so it would probably take six weeks for the tile to come in.

The rope fell on our necks when the contractor's office manager called to tell us that the tile my spouse had picked out would cost thousands more than we'd budgeted for.

The trap door started to come loose under our manacled feet when we went to two tile stores together (my spouse went to another store solo), and checked several tile stores on-line, only to find that it's almost impossible to get cost information for a particular tile, let alone project cost estimates, unless you sit down with an employee with an attitude who's working on commission.

Branding irons came into play when I realized that, even if we could get price information on specific tiles we liked, we still wouldn't know whether we were within a reasonable price range for the entire project.

I ground my teeth, and I slammed a door. Later on, I cried.

Do you know what I did then? Do ya? Do ya?

I spent close to three hours measuring the living hell out of the bathrooms, determining likely square footage and linear footage of various types of tile, and creating a spreadsheet we can use to making our own damn project cost estimates.

Assuming we can wring tile pricing information out of someone at a tile store soon, that is.

1 Comments:

  • Hey look - another star manager in the making!

    Seriously though, sorry to hear about your contractor woes.

    By Blogger Jen(n), at 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home